The worst is yet to come, warns WHO
The covid-19 pandemic is not overcome, the worst world still awaits, said World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus on Monday. He warned at the same time when a number of states, including European ones, began to release quarantine measures.
“Trust us. The worst is yet to come, ”said Tedros Ghebreyesus:“ Let's avoid the tragedy. It is a virus that many people do not understand. ”
The AP noted that the director did not directly mention why the epidemic, which infected nearly 2.5 million people, could worsen significantly. However, he and other experts have warned earlier that the disease could spread uncontrollably in Africa.
He also noted that serological analyzes show that even in the most affected countries, only a small proportion of the population, about two to three percent, was infected. So the virus has whom to attack.
It must also be remembered that, with the Spanish flu hundred years ago, the second wave was worse than the first. The WHO director also mentioned this epidemic when he said the current pandemic was "like the flu in 1918 that killed up to 100 million people".
"But now we have the technology, we can prevent the disaster, we can prevent such a crisis," added Tedros Ghebreyesus. He reported that the WHO had ordered 30 million coronavirus tests and that it will begin distributing some 180 million surgical masks later this month. He noted that as part of the WHO Solidarity Program for Testing Coronavirus Drugs, over 600 hospitals are ready to receive patients.
We kept nothing in secret
He again objected to Washington's criticism that the WHO had initially underestimated the epidemic in China: “We warned from day one that this was the devil. We are open and do not hide anything. Not only the US, but all countries receive information right away. ” He added that whoever dies is someone's father, someone's grandmother: “That's why we don't hide anything and immediately pass on the information. We want to save lives, every life. ”